Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
logo
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 88 mal aufgerufen
 Ihr seid gefragt!
carrie201918 Offline

24.05.2019 08:44
Al Bruno will forever be remembered for delivering one of the biggest upsets in Grey Cup history.He guided the upstart Hamilton Antworten

Al Bruno will forever be remembered for delivering one of the biggest upsets in Grey Cup history.He guided the upstart Hamilton Tiger-Cats into the 86 final against the heavily favoured Edmonton Eskimos, who had posted a league-best 13-4-1 record. Many football pundits had predicted a lopsided affair, and they were right as the 9-8-1 Ticats captured a stunning 39-15 victory.The Ticats announced Monday that Bruno died Sunday night at the age of 87. Jason Riley, a former offensive lineman with Hamiltons 86 championship squad, credited Bruno for the upset victory.He was a master of bringing people together and building the chemistry of a team, Riley said. Everybody thought the 86 Eskimos would blow us out in the Grey Cup but actually it was the other way around because our chemistry was so good that everyone just played for each other and didnt worry about the hype.Al had a way of bringing the guys together . . . thats what made the difference.The cause of death wasnt divulged but Riley said Bruno, a native of West Chester, Pa., entered hospital in Port Charlotte, Fla., initially due to a kidney issue but passed away peacefully of heart failure. he added Bruno had just one kidney due to previous cancer treatment.Bruno came to the CFL in 1966 as an assistant coach with the Ottawa Rough Riders before taking a similar job with Hamilton in 1968. He served as the offensive co-ordinator at Harvard from 1971-81 before returning to Hamilton as its player-personnel director in 82.Bruno was named head coach during the 83 season after Bud Riley was fired and got the job permanently leading Hamilton to a 2-1-1 record. He suffered a mild heart attack during the 87 season and was replaced for six games by defensive co-ordinator Ted Schmitz before returning.Bruno was fired during the 90 campaign after Hamilton lost five straight to drop to 4-8. Bruno worked as a scout with both the B.C. Lions and Buffalo Bills before serving as McMaster Universitys head coach from 1994 to 96, bringing Riley aboard as the offensive line coach, a position he still currently holds.Bruno was a receiver at Kentucky, where he played for legendary head coach Paul (Bear) Bryant. The Philadelphia Eagles selected Bruno in the third round of the 51 NFL draft, but he signed with the Toronto Argonauts instead and played on their Grey Cup-winning team in 1952.Bruno spent two seasons with Toronto, then played briefly with Ottawa in 54 before finishing his CFL career with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1955-56). Bruno was inducted into the Kentucky Athletics Hall of Fame in 08 and is also a member of the Chester County Sports and West Chester Henderson High School Halls of Fame.Al was a big, dependable receiver and I dont ever remember him dropping a pass, said former Argos teammate Nick Volpe. He later became a coach who was known to be one of the best around; he understood the game very well.Al had a great way with people. He was always very calm, friendly and efficient. He will be missed.Riley, currently a full-time teacher and football coach at a Burlington high school, spent 10 seasons with Hamilton before retiring after the 93 season. A four-time East all-star, Riley was named to the Ticats Walk of Fame in 95 and said he owes it all to his former coach.I dont know where Id be in life right now if it wasnt for Al Bruno, Riley said. He brought me to Hamilton from Vancouver, he was with me most of the time I was with the Ticats.I went to four Grey Cups with him and when he went to McMaster and brought me in as the offensive line coach and Ive been there ever since. I love the man.Riley figured he was done with football in 84 after being released by the Saskatchewan Roughriders. A former defensive lineman who helped the University of British Columbia capture the 82 Vanier Cup, Riley was taken in the first round of the 83 CFL draft by Winnipeg before being dealt to the Riders.When Saskatchewan released me I was ready to go back to school and pursue other things because I was pretty discouraged, Riley said. But Hamilton called and Al assured me Id be playing within the next few weeks.Its funny because the B.C. Lions called the day I was flying out to Hamilton and told me they wanted to play defensive line. Now, it was my hometown, my natural position, it wouldve been a lot cheaper because I couldve played while living at home. But I was a man of my word and trusted what Al told me. But I did (tell the Lions) if I wasnt on the roster as promised Id come back to the B.C. Lions. Everything worked out like he said and my wife and I established roots and made a life here because of Al Bruno.Longtime CFL executive and scout Mike McCarthy was Hamiltons player-personnel director and assistant GM during Brunos tenure on the sidelines and called him a players coach.He cared about his players, McCarthy said. It didnt matter if they had a bad day or a bad game, he always believed in them.There wasnt a guy loved more by his team than Al Bruno because of what he did for those guys.Riley agreed.He wasnt an Xs and Os guru although he was around the game all his life and knew it very well, Riley said. His forte was bringing people together and building the chemistry of a team.He would get guys who were released from other teams like myself, Paul Bennett and Miles Gorrell and make it so that it was fun. It was all about family. A lot of us had young kids at the time and to him you were a person first and a player second. That kind of gets lost with some professional coaches and organizations.McCarthy knew Bruno well before their CFL days. McCarthy was a coach at Brown University when Bruno was at Harvard and the two actively recruited a highly touted quarterback named Doug Flutie, whose older brother, Bill, was a receiver at Brown.Doug Flutie went on to play at Boston College, capturing the 84 Heisman Trophy. He starred in the CFL with B.C. (and younger brother, Darren) Calgary and Toronto, winning three Grey Cups from 1990 to 97 before joining the NFLs Buffalo Bills.Funeral arrangements werent immediately known, although Riley said there will be a memorial mass Thursday in Port Charlotte. Kenyan Drake Jersey . The native of Mont-Tremblant, Que., captured a World Cup downhill event Saturday, his second this year and fifth career victory on the circuit. Jerome Baker Jersey .com) - Guess whos back, back again? Josh Gordons back, tell a friend. http://www.officialmiamidolphinsfootball...y-jersey-womens. -- Canada played to expectation up until halftime. Minkah Fitzpatrick Jersey . After rookie right-hander Alex Colome excelled in a 5-2 victory in the opener, the Rays fell to Chris Tillman and the Orioles 4-1 on Friday night. Jordan Phillips Jersey .com) - The Vancouver Canucks recovered from a fluke goal early last time out to knock off one of the top teams in the league.Louis van Gaal has not given up on qualifying for the Champions League despite conceding Manchester United missed an opportunity in Tuesdays defeat at West Ham. Manchester United were 14 minutes away from crashing West Hams Boleyn Ground farewell after Anthony Martials double set them on course for a victory that would have seen them leapfrog Manchester City into fourth position.But the Hammers staged a late, stirring comeback on their final outing at their historic ground to seal a 3-2 win, leaving Man Uniteds top-four hopes out of their hands heading into their final-day fixture against Bournemouth. Manchester Uniteds French striker Anthony Martial scored twice It is the same story, we dont have it in our hands but it is still possible, we can still catch Manchester City because they have to beat Swansea and thats not so easy for them, Van Gaal told Sky Sports.Bournemouth (on Sunday) is also not easy because we have to cope with this big disappointment. When you are 1-0 behind and you change it to 2-1 and then lose again its a mental blow. Slaven Bilic said that West Ham were under pressure to win their final game at the Boleyn Ground Of course this is a missed opportunity, you could imagine how thrilled the players and fans and the coach also would have been in this situation. We have to cope with it and at the end we lost 3-2 so we have missed an opportunity.Defeat in East London means Van Gaals side will miss out on qualification for Europes elite-club competition if their cross-city rivals win at the Liberty Stadium on Sunday.Manchester United, whose team ccoach was attacked en route to the stadium, struggled to cope with a rampant Hammers outfit on an emotionally-charged night.ddddddddddddBut Van Gaal refused to attribute his sides defeat to the ugly scenes pre-match, and instead highlighted their inability to deal with West Hams aerial threat from set-pieces or retain possession. Manchester United let a 2-1 lead slip We gave set-plays away which they could score from and we had difficulties with set plays, he added.We knew that in advance and, despite being 2-1 ahead, we couldnt managed that. We gave too many fouls away near the 60 meters and that was our problem.It is always difficult, they are good at set plays, the statistics show that and we are small. You have to organise that but still you dont have the centimetres and thats the problem. Manchester Uniteds team coach was attacked as it neared the ground When you are 2-1 you have to keep the ball better than we did. You can look at the set plays but I think we have to keep the ball better.West Hams players did everything to win and you could see that from the first minute. It was a special game and we had to cope with that, we are professional and we have to cope with all of these factors.They were lucky also, when you see how the goals come you have to say they were two set plays and all the threat was only through the set plays. Also See: Hammers win Boleyn thriller Utds top-four hopes rocked Man Utd fixtures Man Utd stats Stitched College Jerseys Cheap UCLA Jerseys NCAA Louisville Cardinals Jerseys North Carolina Jerseys Stitched Kentucky Wildcats Jerseys Stitched Alabama Crimson Tide Jerseys Cheap Basketball Wisconsin Badgers Jerseys Authentic NCAA Jerseys Store Wholesale Basketball NCAA Jerseys Cheap Duke Gear Stitched Alabama Jerseys Stitched Georgia Jerseys Cheap Clemson Jerseys Authentic Authentic Texas Jerseys Wholesale USC Jerseys Stitched Oklahoma Jerseys Stitched Ohio State Jerseys Cheap Notre Dame Gear UCLA Jerseys From China Cheap Louisville Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap North Carolina Jerseys Authentic Cheap Kentucky Jerseys Authentic Wisconsin Jerseys From China Cheap Michigan Gear Cheap Florida Gear Wholesale Arizona State Jerseys Cheap LSU Gear Cheap Auburn Gear Cheap California Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Miami Jerseys Authentic Cheap Michigan State Gear Cheap Tennessee Jerseys Authentic Texas A&M Jerseys From China Authentic Wake Forest Jerseys West Virginia Jerseys From China ' ' '

Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz