Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
logo
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 146 mal aufgerufen
 Ihr seid gefragt!
Cl11234566 Offline

05.11.2019 04:54
Leafs record in the shootout this season Antworten

BOSTON – Two innings into the opening game of the World Series, it was hard to imagine the St. Louis Cardinals as a 97-win team, the National Leagues best, a club which had erased the game Pirates and Dodgers to get to the big dance. The effort in the 8-1 Red Sox victory lacked the feel of the much ballyhooed "Cardinal Way." It felt more like a get-it-out-of-your-system night for St. Louis. The problem is there are no throw away games at this time of year and the opponent is too strong to be given freebies. "We had a wake up call," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny. "That is not the kind of team that weve been all season. And theyre frustrated. Im sure embarrassed to a point. We get an opportunity to show the kind of baseball we played all season long and it didnt look anything like what we saw tonight." Then, Matheny offered his team a public wake up call of his own. "Youre going to have games like that periodically. But if you begin to accept that, then this could not really go anywhere." Boston scored three times in the first off the Cardinals Adam Wainwright. Jacoby Ellsbury walked. One out later, Dustin Pedroia singled. David Ortiz came to the plate and rolled a potential double play grounder to second baseman Matt Carpenter. Shortstop Pete Kozma, with what would be his first of two errors early in the game, dropped Carpenters throw to second. All hands were safe. Not so fast. Second base umpire Dana DeMuth inexplicably ruled that Kozma had caught the ball and bobbled the transfer, ruling Pedroia out. Red Sox manager John Farrell bolted from the dugout faster than he left Toronto a year ago. DeMuth heard Farrell out and then agreed to confer with his five colleagues. The call was overturned and Pedroia was ruled safe. The umpires got the call correct. "I think the one thing we strive for is to get the call correct," said Farrell. "And I think based on their group conversation, surprisingly to a certain extent, they overturned it and I think got the call right." Farrells use of the term "surprisingly" fit with Mathenys take on the play. Its not customary for umpires to confer on subjective safe/out calls. This was out of the ordinary. "Thats not a play Ive ever seen before," said Matheny. "And Im pretty sure there were six umpires on the field that had never seen that play before either. Its a pretty tough time to debut that overruled call in the World Series. Now, I get that theyre trying to get the right call. I get that. Tough one to swallow." Mike Napoli came up with the bases loaded and slammed a three-run double off the Green Monster. Boston scored two more in the second on the strength of three hits and another Kozma error. The lead off single of the inning, by Stephen Drew, was a pop up in front of the pitchers mound that Wainwright called for before backing off. The ball dropped, untouched, as Wainwright and catcher Yadier Molina stared blankly at each other. "Im under that ball," said Wainwright. "Its one of those plays where youre taught to give the ball away to somebody elses call but not the one thats right to you like that. I made the mistake of calling it and then waiting for someone else to make the play instead of just taking charge. I didnt take charge on the mound and I didnt take charge on that play and it cost us a lot of runs." As if their poor play wasnt damaging enough, star right fielder Carlos Beltran left the game after the second inning, having played hero moments earlier. David Ortiz, back at the plate in the second inning and with the bases loaded, drove a ball to right centerfield, headed for the visitors bullpen. Drawing comparisons to Torii Hunters effort on an Ortiz grand slam in Game 2 of the ALCS, Beltran tracked the ball back to the wall and unlike Hunter, made a great catch. In doing so, Beltran slammed into the wall. He was taken to hospital for a CT scan and an x-ray, both of which were negative, and Beltran is listed as day-to-day with deeply bruised ribs. "I think hes a little down right now," said general manager John Mozeliak. "Certainly disappointed. Obviously wanted to play in this and to have to come out of the game before the game ended was disappointing to him. "Obviously you want to see your club at full strength," said Mozeliak. "You dont want to go into this thing where you lose somebody early on so well just have to see but hopefully hell be ready to go." Boston got a top notch performance from ace left-hander Jon Lester, who buoyed by the early run support tossed 7 2/3 innings of shutout baseball. Junichi Tazawa and Ryan Dempster carried the final four outs. The Red Sox, dating back two World Series appearances to 2004, have now won nine straight games in the Fall Classic. The Cardinals, suddenly, are compromised. Assuming Beltran, St. Louis two-hole hitter, plays, he wont be anywhere near 100 per cent. Allen Craig, a first baseman serving as designated hitter under American League rules and batting cleanup, returned from a sprained foot to play his first game since suffering the injury on September 4. Hes working to get his timing back when there isnt much time. Game 1 was a case of St. Louis playing awfully more than it was Boston dominating. The Cardinals can take solace in that. But if they dont produce a much better level of play in Thursdays Game 2, it could pave the way for a short series. "One of the things weve always preached, if we dont play clean baseball its hard for us to win," said Mozeliak. "We gave a lot of outs up tonight and they obviously took advantage of it and we came up short." Cheap Shoes China Free Shipping . I kept my eyes focused up on the camera during each approach. I just tried to stay focused on my form, as I didnt know what the ball reaction was. I was quite emotional at the end. I did not actually see any of the shots in the game until I got home and watched the video. Cheap Shoes China Wholesale . A receiver doesnt make the catch on a passing play and instantly motions to the ref – and everybody else – for a pass interference flag. http://www.wholesaleshoes.us.org/. New Zealand brushed aside England 26-7 to win the event and reclaim top spot in the overall standings. The All Blacks, the defending World Series champions, won their third tournament this season in style, running four tries past England to claim their 11th Cup championship in Hong Kong and first since 2011. Wholesale China Shoes Free Shipping . "He came up to me and said, I want to train," said Toronto coach Ryan Nelsen. The 26-year-old midfielder is expected to play Saturday night when Toronto hosts D.C. United, returning to his Major League Soccer squad with mixed feelings about the Americans World Cup run -- sad that it ended when it did but proud of his teams performance. Replica Shoes Wholesale China . According to various reports, the striker is about to sign a five-and-a-half year extension with Manchester United worth a reported 300,000 pounds a week that would see him at Old Trafford until 2019.TORONTO – The shootout has proven a viable saving grace for this years edition of the Maple Leafs. When Reid Boucher shot wide in what would be the Devils final attempt on Jonathan Bernier in the third round of the skills competition Sunday, he handed Toronto its eighth victorious decision in the shootout this season – tied for the most in the NHL. In fact, the Leafs have more victories in the shootout since the start of November (six) than they do in regulation/overtime (five), a fact thats masked, until recently, just how poorly the team has performed in the past two-plus months (12-16-5). But for a team that was teetering on a four-game losing streak – the second longest this season – the winning decision at the ACC, in a reality divorced from the game itself, was nonetheless needed and important. "Well, we can breathe," said Randy Carlyle, following the 3-2 victory, the second in two tries against the Devils this season, both wins coming in the shootout. "Theres been a lot of gasping going on, and even in this game there was a lot of gasping going on how tight it was." It was not a pretty performance in many regards – the Leafs were outshot 38-25 and out-attempted 83-48 – but one that at least offered some of the requisite intensity and desire that had been missing amid the recent slide and quite often throughout whats been a disappointing campaign to date. And they might very well have won it in regulation had it not been for a blown call on Tyler Bozaks apparent go-ahead goal in the second frame. "Guys are a little looser tonight already," Mason Raymond told the Leaf Report shortly after the win. "It feels good. It feels good to get a win." "Hopefully this relieves a little bit of the stress thats involved for our hockey club, and they can get back playing to the way were capable of playing," added Carlyle. Consistency has been a foe of his team so far. The Leafs have reeled off exactly one winning streak since October – it lasted three games, two of which were won in shootouts – winning back-to-back games on just two other occasions. Stringing together heartier efforts against the Capitals and Devils in recent days then is just a mild step in the right direction. The teams response in an upcoming back-to-back with the Bruins and Sabres will indicate whether, in fact, a corner is gradually being turned. "I dont think its an exact recipe you can follow," Raymond said of achieving consistency. "Youve got to build off the things, in my opinion, that you did well, stay positive and believe. I think thats a big part of it is just believing that we can get the job done and go out there and get wins." "I think the last few games our compete level and effort has been way better," said van Riemsdyk, who scored for the second straight game, "and I think if we continue to play in that same mold well have some more results that we want." Five Points 1. Gardiners Development Pt. 1 Carlyle labeled 23-year-old Jake Gardiners performance in Washington Friday night as "the model in which wed like him to play. Gardiner, who had been scratched for just the second time all season one night earlier in Carolina, raised his performance in the eyes of the coaching staff against the Capitals. "Much different Jake Gardiner," said Carlyle, observing improved strength and intensity in the defensive zone as well as better decision-making with the puck. Such is the road to development for a young defender in the NHL. Many ups come with many downs. "Jake is a talented young player and there are steps that he has to continue to take," said Carlyle, who met with Gardiner briefly at the end of Sundays morning skate. "With Jake, he has the ability to move the puck both with his hands and with his feet – he can skate. He would like to make more consistent decisions with the puck and so would we. Weve struggled to find a consistent level for him over the last probably five or six games." That inconsistency led Carlyle to scratch Gardiner last week, a questionable move that blew up in a 6-1 loss to the Hurricanes. But if the sit-down was designed to spark a reaction then it may have achieved some success the next night in the U.S. capital. "I think what happens with young players is they find that theyre always trying to do one thing and maybe trying to do too much of one thing and that sometimes turns into where you skate the puck into areas where you shouldnt and turn over the puck," said Carlyle. "But hes a young player that has got a tremendous upside." 2. Gardiners Development Pt. 2 What Carlyle has done additionally, in the meann-time, is remove Gardiner from the teams top two pairings – he and 19-year-old Morgan Rielly formed the third grouping for the second straight game against the Devils – and thus lighten the burden he is exposed to on a night to night basis.dddddddddddd Speaking to the Leaf Report on Sunday morning, Gardiner described his decision-making with the puck as one needed improvement, an issue again at times on Sunday night. "Dont try and force anything," he said. "I think I was trying to make plays that werent there and I was maybe trying to move the puck a little bit too quickly. When theres not an open guy, maybe just be patient and hold onto the puck a little bit." Gardiner, who played over 24 minutes against the Devils, is averaging nearly 22 minutes per game this season, second on the team. 3. Bolland Front Dave Bolland hasnt played since Nov. 2, when his left ankle was sliced by the skate blade of Canucks forward Zack Kassian. The 27-year-old has missed 32 games with the injury, but is due to finally start skating with the team on Thursday. Bolland recently traveled to Montreal in hopes of having a new boot designed specifically to support the injured area. That boot was due to arrive in Toronto on Monday with the Mimico native then expected to skate before joining the Leafs on a four-game road trip next week. An exact timeframe for return remains unclear. 4. Harder to Play Against? Asked before the game if this version of the Maple Leafs was as difficult to play against as the one that ended a lengthy playoff drought last season, Carlyle responded flatly in the negative. "Nowhere near," he said. "Weve been scratching our heads and trying to figure out why." And if there was one element that remained constant from a Friday loss in Washington to Sundays win in Toronto, it was the intensity of his group. The execution may have been lacking at times, but the compete Carlyle has been prodding for remained. "Thats one thing that weve really tried to put at the forefront in the last three weeks to a month is that our compete level has to go to a level where were satisfied," said Carlyle on Sunday morning. "Thats the one thing that weve said is our compete level has to go up." Carlyle pointed to the simple will required to win puck battles. "We have been guilty of just standing around in those situations," he said. "I call it getting inside. I think to be inside in todays NHL is the key because you cant hook and hold, you have to skate your way to get inside. "When we do it we can play effective hockey and give ourselves a chance to win. And when we dont do it were receiving the game, were standing around. I would say thats the biggest mystery for the coaching staff." 5. Stunted Starts Toronto has exited the first frame with a lead in 12 of 47 games this season, trailing, by comparison, on 17 occasions. Substandard starts have been a source of considerable trouble, often requiring the club to dig out from an early hole without much ultimate success. "All year long, weve [had] pretty poor starts," said Gardiner. "We try to dig ourselves out of it and then we start playing well and its too late by that time so if we can play almost desperate and aggressive I think well have better starts and itll lead to a better outcome." The Leafs started slowly again on Sunday – outshot 7-1 in the opening 10 minutes – but rebounded during the back half of the period, finding the games first goal from Tyler Bozak, his seventh this season. "We were rusty, I thought, for the first 10 or 12 minutes of the game," said Carlyle. Stats-Pack 8-4 – Leafs record in the shootout this season. 13 – Points in the past 11 games for Tyler Bozak, who has 19 points in 23 games this season. 8 – Shootout wins for the Leafs this season, tied with the Capitals for the most in the NHL. 1 – Goals in the past 14 games for Nazem Kadri. 24:23 – Ice-time for Jake Gardiner against the Devils, second on the team to Dion Phaneuf. 62% - Leafs success rate on the draw against the Devils. 2 – Consecutive games with a goal for James van Riemsdyk, who had two in the preceding 15 games. Special Teams Capsule PP: 1-4 Season: 21.8% (5th) PK: 3-4 Season: 77.4% (27th) Quote of the Night "I asked him if he could watch it after the game and maybe next time he has a game [with us] he can apologize or something because that was pretty brutal." - James van Riemsdyk, on his conversation with an official following Tyler Bozaks waved off goal in the second period. Up Next The Leafs visit the Bruins in Boston on Tuesday night. ' ' '

Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz