Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden  
logo
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 168 mal aufgerufen
 Lecker Kerlchen...
Cl11234566 Offline

09.11.2019 07:14
Those rings — and now the book — help Antworten

DUESSELDORF, Germany -- Top-seeded Philipp Kohlschreiber claimed his fifth ATP World Tour trophy by defeating Ivo Karlovic of Croatia 6-2, 7-6 (4) in the Duesseldorf Open final on Saturday. The 35-year-old Karlovic fought back in the second set after Kohlschreiber went ahead 4-3. It looked like a decisive break but the seventh-seeded Karlovic took it to the tiebreaker, where Kohlschreiber let two match points go before ultimately claiming the win in 72 minutes. It was the 30-year-old Germans first title since 2012, when he won his home tournament in Munich. Four of his five titles have been on German soil. Kohlschreiber had lost two of his previous three meetings with Karlovic, who was playing his first clay-court event final since 2007, when he won his only title on the surface in Houston. Cheap Air Max For Sale .com) - His team lost in the round of 16 of the FCS playoffs, yet Northern Iowa football coach Mark Farley says his team has made a strong case to be voted to the top 5 in the final rankings. Wholesale Air Max . "Youre next." Hardly. Iguodala tormented his former team with a game better than any he ever played in eight seasons with the 76ers. https://www.airmaxchina.us/. Coming off a 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea on Saturday, Arsenal endured another demoralizing result after rallying for a 2-1 lead -- only to concede a fluke equalizer. Air Max Outlet .com) - The fading Ottawa Senators have a chance to make up some ground in the playoff race on Tuesday night as they play host to the New York Rangers. Air Max Sale . -- DeMarcus Cousins had 25 points and 16 rebounds to help the Sacramento Kings snap a seven-game losing streak by defeating the Chicago Bulls 99-70 on Monday night.TORONTO - Grant Fuhr partied like a rock star, or a Stanley Cup-winning NHL superstar during the prime of his career.His drug use led to a suspension and plenty of unwanted attention. Yet almost 30 years later the former Edmonton Oilers goaltender has no regrets and expressed that sentiment in his new book, Grant Fuhr: The Story of a Hockey Legend.Im 100 per cent comfortable with my life now, Fuhr told The Canadian Press on Thursday. Thats probably one of the best things about it is to have to sit back and go through it, you understand if youre comfortable with life or not.And Im OK with everything thats happened. Yeah, some of its bad, but at the same time it makes you a better person.The Spruce Grove, Alta., native wrote this book along with former Calgary neighbour Bruce Dowbiggin. Its structured as a series of 10 key games from the Hall of Famers career, with Dowbiggin essentially narrating and Fuhr dropping in his reflections now and then.Along with the on-ice success, which there was plenty of, the book touches on Fuhrs substance abuse and racial tensions that arose when he started playing in the United States. Dowbiggin didnt shy away from mentioning Fuhrs cocaine use, and thats fine with the 52-year-old who wants readers to realize life is about making mistakes and still being successful.You dont have to be perfect, Fuhr said. I would look great in a halo, but its never going to happen.The book unearthed a quote from Wayne Gretzky: To be able to play at the level he played at for all those years (while on drugs) is a surprise.Looking back on it, Fuhr doesnt believe drugs hurt his performance.The hardest part of goaltending is to stay focused, Fuhr said. So the fact that you get a mental break away from the game is almost refreshing.For me at that time, the most comfortable place to be was on the ice. Thats where I was happiest. It probably made me a little more focused than most.The summer of 1986 is one of the turning points in Fuhrs life. It followed Steve Smiths own goal against the Flames but of more importance to Fuhr, thats also when he lost his father, making for a terrible off-season.Hockey and life had changed, but at the same time I found a way to get away from it, Fuhr said. Probably not the right way, but at the same time it made life (bearable).I was never a good student but I learned everything through life. So had I did it a different way, could things have turned out a little different? Yeah they probably couldve. But at the same time I wouldnt have the same life experiences.Fuhr said there was nothing in the book that was difficult to re-live. Now, 23-plus years after his suspension, 21 years after being refused admission into a Buffalo-area country club because of his race and 11 years being inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, he has a better grasp on life and his career accomplishments.While Fuhr doesnt see race as something people should be defined by, he also better understands tthe historical significance he had on the NHL.ddddddddddddWhen youre playing you never really think of it, youre just playing and enjoying the game and you never really have to worry or think about it, whereas now I get a chance to look back at it, Fuhr said. You can see different kids at different times and such, and you realize that it has more prevalence now than it ever did.Fuhr also may have had an impact on the way the league and Players Association deal with drug use. In 1990, then-president John Ziegler suspended Fuhr for a full season for conduct dishonourable and against the welfare of the league.In the book, Fuhr writes, The biggest misconception about that period of time is that the substance problem was still ongoing — but by the time it finally hit the paper it had been two years over and long stopped, over and done.His suspension was eventually reduced, but nowadays the league handles similar situations with more of an eye toward helping players. Fuhr said that was the best part of his punishment in retrospect, that current players dont have to deal with the same heavy hand.Its like night and day now because the NHL now will help players, where when I got suspended it was about punishment, Fuhr said. It wasnt about rehabilitating players or helping them get better in life, it was about punishing them. I think the NHL has gone leaps and bounds in getting better at that where theyve got programs in place now and they actually will help players, and theyll help players before they get themselves in trouble.Fuhr got himself in and out of trouble and along the way managed to win 403 career regular-season games for the Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Buffalo Sabres, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and Flames. He was in net for four Cups and has five championship rings because he was part of the 1989-90 Oilers team that Bill Ranford led to the title.As he signed books that filled the table in front of him, Fuhr wore his 1988 Cup ring on his right hand. He rotates them but has one on all the time.The only one that stays is the Hall of Fame ring and I actually wear it on a chain around my neck, Fuhr said. I think its the pinnacle of what you accomplish as a player, to get into the Hall of Fame.So its the one constant that I keep. Yeah you could wear all five, but that might be just a little gaudy. I always wear one.Those rings — and now the book — help remind Fuhr of what he has done in hockey but hadnt really thought about much.When you hit 50 you get to a certain point where you get to reflect on life a little bit, Fuhr said. Im gaining on the top of the hill, I dont think Im there yet because I plan on living to 100.The best part of it is I realize how comfortable I am in life, more than anything. Thats what the book gave me, the opportunity to figure out is that lifes pretty good. Actually I didnt think it was that bad before, but I know now its pretty good.---Follow @SWhyno on Twitter ' ' '

Sprung  
Xobor Forum Software von Xobor
Einfach ein eigenes Forum erstellen
Datenschutz